Landeshauptstadt Dresden - 18.11.2021 14:43:52 Uhr 29.05.2024 13:09:35 Uhr


What is a visa?

The visa is the first German residence permit entitling third-country nationals to enter Germany and subsequently stay in Germany and the Schengen area.

What types of visas are available?

For a short-term - tourist - stay of up to 90 days you must apply for a so-called Schengen visa (C visa) at the German mission in your country of origin.

If you are staying longer than 90 days in Germany, you need a national visa (D-visa). This visa also allows you to apply for a residence permit afterwards.

In principle, it must be clear at the time of entry how long you intend to stay and the correct visa must be applied for. An extension of a Schengen visa or the application for a subsequent residence permit in Germany is only possible in absolutely exceptional cases.

Are there exceptions to the visa requirement?

  • Nationals of certain countries: Enter the Schengen area without a visa for visits of up to 90 days within 180 days.
    (Here, too, it is generally not possible to extend your stay; you must leave the country by the 90th day at the latest.)
  • Nationals of the USA, New Zealand, Australia, Israel, South Korea, Japan and Canada: Enter Germany without a visa and apply for a long-term residence permit within 90 days.
  • Nationals of Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino: Enter Germany without a visa and apply for a local residence permit if they do not wish to work.
    (If they are planning to work, e.g. in the form of dependent employment or research as a guest researcher, they must obtain a visa.)

Where can I apply for a visa?

Please contact the German mission in the country in which you currently live, i.e. where you mainly reside.

Further information on the visa procedure can be found on the website of the Federal Forgein Office.