Landeshauptstadt Dresden - 08.07.2020 13:38:09 Uhr 29.05.2024 15:05:15 Uhr

Doctoral studies and mobility

A residence permit according to Sect. 16b AufenthG entitles the holder to study at a German university and can be applied for by doctoral students whose main focus during their stay is obtaining a doctorate. If you are studying full-time, you have a legal right to this residence permit. In the case of part-time studies or a conditional enrolment, the immigration authorities will decide at their discretion to grant you a residence permit.

Further information can be found in our decision sheet.

Since 2017, the residence permit for students has also entailed improved intra-European mobility. As part of the implementation of the European REST Directive (2016/801), you have the opportunity to study in another EU member state with a German student residence permit - which you are legally entitled to - for part of your studies. Similarly, students who have been granted a student residence permit in another EU member state can complete part of their studies in Germany for up to 360 days.

Your host university in the respective destination country will carry out the necessary procedure with the competent authorities.

Please note that the responsible authorities first have to examine the legal requirements and that you cannot directly enter the country and continue your studies. You will receive a notice from the national authorities (in Germany: the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees) when the procedure has been completed and you can enter the other country as part of your mobility and continue your studies.

Please note:

A doctorate cannot be classically assigned to a residence purpose in the German Residence Act. Doctoral candidates can apply for a residence permit either as a student or as a Researcher. In the case of a doctorate, they can also apply for an EU Blue Card in addition to full-time employment.