Landeshauptstadt Dresden - 03.06.2020 15:29:26 Uhr 01.12.2022 17:36:55 Uhr
Nahaufnahme eines Mikroskops mit Objekttisch, Objektträger und 4 Objektiven
© PublicDomainPictures, Pixabay

Research and short-term mobility

Scientists are also to be granted more mobility within the EU. Sect. 18e AufenthG and Sect. 18f AufenthG regulate the requirements for these procedures. Here, several options are available enabling researchers to come to Germany for teaching and research purposes.

If you as a researcher hold a residence title for the purpose of research in an EU member state in accordance with the so-called REST Directive (2016/801), you do not need another residence title to conduct research at a research institution in Germany for a maximum of 90 days within 180 days. Your host research institution must inform the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (Sect. 18e AufenthG) of this.

If you, as a researcher from another EU member state with a residence title for the purpose of research, wish to conduct research in Germany for more than 180 days up to a maximum of one year in accordance with the so-called REST Directive (2016/801), you can apply for a German residence title without a visa as long as your foreign residence title is valid (Sect. 18f AufenthG).

Further information on this residence title can be found in our decision sheet.

Please note:

If you are a national of Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco or San Marino and would like to work in Germany for more than 90 days, you need a visa to enter the country!

Visa-free residence and obtaining a residence title in Germany is only permitted if you do not wish to work.